Mr. Bijoy's 2012 Holiday Gift Guide: Home Kitchen

I work in food. It's something I love. Often, people ask me about what they should get their "foodie" friends or family members as gifts. Now, I can't tell anyone what their friends and family need or should-have, but I know of some really cool things for the kitchen that may work. So here we go!

  • One thing that people never think that they will actually use, actually want, but more importantly, kind of need, in the kitchen is a proper cast-iron skillet. Seriously. It's been a culinary staple for longer than a lot of countries, including the US, have existed.
  • A restaurant-style rotary cheese grater is cool, but it isn't pretty. Until now.
  • Fresh herbs are pretty great. But if you buy them from the store, storage can be a pain. Here's a really cool herb keeper that solves the issues of herb storage and looks fairly elegant in doing so. 
  • I know a few people that collect salt & pepper shakers. So this one's for them.  
  • Knives. Everyone is always asking what sort of knife they should have in the kitchen. Get a versatile knife. That's the advice I have.  As for suggestions, I think that a great starter knife set is right here. No more than you actually need, with the quality you want. Now, if you're really ready for a great knife and you're going to care for it, get this. But if you don't want to care for it, don't buy it. Seriously.
  • Food art that isn't tacky? Yeah, I know where to go for that.
  • Some people think that a good cutting board in the home kitchen has turned into something of a status symbol. Though I can't say that I agree with the sentiment, I'll point you in the direction of a great board that looks good, works, and is pretty.
  • Let's talk ice cubes. Ice can do so much to your beverage, from the functionality of cooling to the unique nature of shaped ice. Let's start with the latter. It's a Death Star Ice cube maker. End of that discussion.  Now, for functional ice, I love the amazingly affordable, King Cube. The science here is simple- large surface area + slow melt= efficient cooling without excessive melt. What's that mean? Cold drinks that take a long time to get watered-down. If you want to take this idea further, and have some extra money sitting around, buy this.
  • Refrigerator odors are pretty much the worst. Want to combat them in a safe, eco-friendly way?  I suggest using charcoal. This stuff is defintiely worth a try.
  • Ever tried measuring out honey or molasses and noticed that it's really not a fun task? Maybe you've seen the really nifty measuring cup plunger that Alton Brown uses? Yeah, get one like that here.
  • Coffee. French press coffee. You might think you don't have the time for a nice cup of pressed coffee during your busy morning, but I'd like to contest that. Check this out
  • I've saved the coolest for last. It's geeky and dumb, but I love it. Ya know those blue and white coffe cups that used to be everywhere in NY? You've seen them. They were used in all of the Law & Order episodes for a long time. Well, they made a ceramic one. Yeah. Awesome. I know. 

Well, I hope I helped you guys out! Have a great holiday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gluten Free Happiness!

Chicago, and the one thing I have yet to really do there

Mustard-Glazed Turkey Cutlets - Guest Post!!!