Gluten Free Happiness!

Just because you may be on some restricted diet, doesn't mean that you're no longer entitled to good food and happy thoughts during this Thanksgiving season! So, here's a recipe that's not only gluten-free, but also vegan. You may have seen this recipe somewhere before. It's either because it's not really that unique, or because I've created this specific variation for a client.

Pecan-Rolled Sweet Potato Balls
4 big sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons vegan "butter"
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
1 pinch fresh ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 tablespoon orange juice
cooking spray (Pam works just fine!)
1 1/2 cups pecans, toasted and crushed

Ok, so:
Clean the sweet potatoes of any excess dirt. Then bake them at 350°F for an hour or until soft. Once soft, set aside until cool enough to handle. When cool, cut the potatoes lengthwise, in half, and scoop the flesh out of the skin into a mixing bowl. Toss the skins in the trash, they are no longer needed. In the mixing bowl add vegan butter, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple syrup and orange juice and mix well. Also put the pecans in a small mixing bowl. Once the potato mixture is well mixed, roll small balls (2 inches in diameter) out of the mixture and toss in the crushed pecans. Once well-coated, place the balls on a baking sheet, lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake these again for about 15 minutes at 350°F. Enjoy!

Comments

  1. I tried making sweet potato balls once, and they were all mushy and fell apart. I have no idea what I did wrong. But these look yummy, although I'd probably make them with regular butter. Well, since I've never bought vegan butter, and have no idea where to even do so...

    I don't think I'd be able to go vegan. I live for cheese. And, well, filet mignon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chicago, and the one thing I have yet to really do there

Mustard-Glazed Turkey Cutlets - Guest Post!!!